The Department of Police and Criminal Law
The Deputy Permanent Secretaries in the Department of Police and Criminal Law are Johan Kristian Legarth and Pernille Breinholdt Mikkelsen.
Divisions under the Department of Police and Criminal Law:
The Prevention Division
Head of Division Jessika Heltberg Auken
Works to ensure coordinated and strengthened input in preventive efforts, with responsibilities including:
• General crime prevention efforts.
• School - Social Worker - Police (SSP) cooperation.
• Hate crimes.
• Youth crime.
• Weapons and munitions.
• Security guard services.
The Police Divison
Head of Division Jesper Jarnit
The Police Division oversees tasks related to the Danish police and the Prosecution Service, including the legislation regulating police activities. The Division is also responsible for the development of measures and initiatives to help ensure that the Danish police and the Prosecution Service continuously work in a modern and effective manner to increase safety and reduce crime in Denmark. Responsibilities include:
• The Danish Act on Police Activities and the Executive Order on Public Order.
• The rules on police records, including the Danish Central Crime Register and the Central DNA Profile Register.
• International police cooperation.
• The police complaints system.
• Drug-related and organised crime.
The Criminal Law Division
Head of Division Thomas Tordal-Mortensen
Advises the Government and other ministries on criminal law issues and performs tasks relating to substantive criminal law and the overall regulation of the activities of the police, Prosecution Service and courts in the area of criminal law. Responsibilities include:
• The Danish Criminal Code.
• Rules on police investigations and the Prosecution Service’s and courts’ proceedings in criminal cases.
• Assisting Standing Committee on Criminal Matters and the Standing Committee on Administration.
• International criminal law, including Council of Europe Treaties and EU legislation acts.
The Criminal Enforcement Division
Head of Division Ane Røddik Christensen
Responsible for work relating to the overall regulation of criminal enforcement, the Prison and Probation Service and international criminal enforcement cooperation. Responsibilities include:
The Criminal Enforcement Act.
• The Criminal Code’s rules on punishment, parole, etc.
• International transfer of prisoners, legal assistance and extradition.
• Forensic psychiatry.
The Security Division
Head of Division Thomas Klyver
Performs tasks relating to the Danish Security and Intelligence Service (PET) and counter-terrorism activities. The division is also the coordinating point for the Ministry in relation to emergency preparedness and crisis management. Responsibilities include:
• Emergency preparedness and crisis management.
• The Danish Security and Intelligence Service Act.
• The Oversight Committee Act.
• The Passport Act.
• Cyber security.