The Department of Civil Law
Deputy Permanent Secretary Lennart Houmann.
Divisions under the Department of Civil Law:
The Property Law Division
Head of Division Mette Johansen
Responsible for legislation in the area of property and obligations law and advising public authorities on:
• Obligations law, including the Contracts Act, the Sale of Goods Act, the Limitations Act and the Interest Act.
• Consumer law, including the Consumer Contracts Act, the Credit Agreements Act, the Act on Consumer Protection in the Acquisition of Real Property and the Package Travels Act.
• Property law, including the Registration of Property Act and the Act on Instruments of Debt.
• Damages and insurance law, including the Liability for Damages Act, the Product Liability Act, the Parent’s Liability Act, the Environmental Liability Act, the Nuclear Liability Act and the Insurance Contracts Act.
• Foreign citizens’ acquisition of real property in Denmark.
• Auctioneers. Charity lotteries (Varelotteriet & Landbrugslotteriet). The Fundraising Act. The Foundations Act.
The Procedural Law Division
Head of Division Lars Solskov Lind
Responsible for the regulation of civil procedure. Serves the Standing Committee on Procedural Law and advises other public authorities on:
• General and international procedural law.
• Court fees.
• Legal assistance and free legal aid.
• Civil letters of request and service of documents.
• Lay judges and special experts.
• Lawyers and the Act on Legal Counselling.
The Insolvency Law Division
Head of Division Mette Kjølby Miller-Harris
Responsible for legislation in the area of insolvency law. Serves the Bankruptcy Council and advises other public authorities on, inter alia:
• General and international insolvency law (bankruptcy, restructuring, debt relief, etc.).
• Personal law, including the Guardianship Act. The Missing Persons Act.
• Inheritance law, including cases regarding the state’s renunciation of inheritance.
• Probate law (division of matrimonial property and estate administration). Enforcement law. Notarial services.
The Northern Atlantic Unit
Head of Unit Anders Aagaard
Responsible for implementing the Ministry of Justice’s legislation by royal decree for the Faeroe Islands and Greenland, including:
• Responsibility for contact with the Faroese and Greenlandic authorities regarding general affairs.
• Coordination of the Ministry’s cross-organisational tasks in relation to the Faroe Islands and Greenland.
• Serving the Council on Greenland’s Judicial System.